ALL IN: 5 Countries, 9 Cities, in 3 Weeks, for less than SGD 3000 (with Airfare)

April 06, 2018


Why hello there!  I am back with another of my notorious, overly calculative blogposts!
It's been a while, no?

Anyhoo, recently (Or not so recent), back in October 2017, I've decided to head back to the European grounds, but this time, with Deborah!

Since we are already working adults, we now have the liberty to spend more. Henceforth, our budget was also raised - considering all factors such as Food, plane/train/bus intercountry tickets, accommodation, activies etcc

Just like Talya (Whom I travelled with back in 2016// Read here ), Deborah and I have a looong history. We were classmates and friends since we're 13 years old. We've gon through so much ups and downs, not just in our friendship, but with our own personal family affairs, and I thought, since we've practically survived all these hurdles together, we could survive each other overseas? Hmmn... sounds like a plan!

OFF I GO!

Singapore - Dubai - Rome, Italy




Flight: SGD 1200

Slightly towards the expensive side (I usually try to aim below $1000) but i did not mind paying a few extra cash for the experience. I mean, it's FREAKING EMIRATES.

I absolutely love this airline carrier because:
1) Cheaper than most, considering the value of it
2) (Most of the time) My flights to Dubai are pretty empty, hence, more place to run around.
3) The Stewards are generally good looking.
4) IT'S FREAKIN EMIRATES!!!!

Another thing:
I don't think I have emphasized this enough, but if you are doing a long haul flight, you must, MUST, abuse the free flow of alcohol.

I had maybe 2 of these and 4 packets of Pretzel

Had 3 cans of Heineken
and another 3 bottles of this bomb 

Technically, in most airlines, the steward/ess would keep an eye on those passengers that are getting turnt, but in my case, I was pretty lucky. I told my stewardess that I had just finished a 12 hour night shift and I had problems sleeping. So I suggested I get drunk so I could pass out in peace.

She agreed.

And that is how, ladies and gentlement, I woke up in Dubai with a massive hangover.

Whoever you are, Stewardess lady, thank you.


Dubai Airport




ROME (ROMA), ITALY

I arrived at the airport at apprx 8pm,  and spent a night at one of my couchsurfer's really cool club-like room, that changes colour when you feel like it.


Sadly, I think I deleted the pictures of his place.


Oh yeah, My CS-er drives that small Italian smart car, so that was kinda cool.
I felt like Lizzie McGuire, in the Lizzie McGuire Movie, except that she was in a Vespa and not a Smart car. Close Enough!

Taken the Next morning


Length of Stay: 1 Night

Transport (Airport - Rome City Centre) : 13 EUR
Transport (Misc): 1.50 EUR
Food: 2 EUR (I cooked!)
Accommodation: Free

Total:  EUR 16.50


NAPOLI, ITALY

Don't think I've mentioned it, but left Singapore about 3 days before Deborah did, so I had some spare time to do some solo travelling.




Decided to head down to Napoli, the home of Margherita Pizza, and of course because of POMPEIIIIIII!!!!

I've always dreamt about visiting Pompeii since my dad bought me that history book on lost cities rediscovered. Besides that, I had met a British lady on CS, who seemed really awesome and agreed to meet up, and also, I really wanted some Margherita pizza.

I'll explain my whole trip in the upcoming posts.

Length of Stay: 2 Nights

Transport (Roma - Napoli) : 12.30 EUR (TRENITALIA)
Transport (Napoli City Centre to Pompeii, with return) : 4 EUR
Transport (misc) : 6 EUR
Food: 10 EUR
Accommodation: 15 EUR (1st night at NeapolitanTrips Hostel), 2nd Night- Free! (bunked with the Brit Lady)
Pompeii Walking Tour: 12 EUR

Total: 59.30 EUR


ROMA, IT.



Headed back to Rome to meet up with Deborah! (She has just touched down.)

True Story: I almost got raped in the train on the way to Rome. I'll explain it in my detailed posts next time! Nothing too severe or anything, but the whole incident was rather odd. Truly glad to be out of such situation!

Spent the whole day basically sight seeing, and running around in circles being tourists, and trying to cover as much as we could, because we had a bus to catch to our next destination.

This was also where we felt like we regretted paying 30 EUROS for a guided tour around the Colosseum as well as the ruins, but unfortunately, we were on a time constraint (Deborah had a mere 2 weeks in Europe so had to try to plan in a way where she could see at much as she could), hence, paid a little more.

Lesson learnt, Plan your time well!



Length of Stay: 1 Night
Transport (Napoli to Roma): 12.30 EUR (Treinitalia)
Transport (Misc): 3 EUR
Food: 15 EUR
Tours: 30 EUR
Accommdation: 18 EUR (HostelRoma)

Total: 78.30 EUR


LJUBJLANA, SLOVENIA

From Rome, we took an overnight bus (because we wanted to save on accommodation, and other means of transport was too expensive) to the city of dragons, Ljubljana in Slovenia.

I personally think Slovenia is such an underrated country, and I am grateful that I managed to conquer it before the whole world does.

We decided to head down to Slovenia specifically for Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj. I've seen the pictures, read the guides, only thing I've not done -  see it in person, and boy, no regrets there.
IT WAS BEAUTIFUL.

Plus, Slovenia is filthy cheap hehe

Getting to Bled is pretty easy:
Just head to the main bus terminal and buy a bus ticket. It should cost around 16 EUR including a return, and the journey takes about 40 minutes one way.

I stayed in this hostel, Dragondoss, and had one of the worst asian-treatment ever.
The guy was rude and bias *rolls eyes*
You can read my review on booking.com (click here// my Review name is "Picolo"), because online reviews can either make you or break you.

Otherwise, without this gundu sami , Slovenia was perfect.



Length of Stay: 1 night

Transport (Overnight Bus: Rome, IT - Ljubljana Slovenia): 30 EUR (flixbus)
Transport (Misc) : 16EUR
Food/Drinks: 10 EUR
Accommodation: 11 EUR (Dragondoss)

Total: 67 EUR


VENICE, IT.

The Grand Canal
In sooth, I know not why I am so sad.
It wearies me; you say it wearies you.
But how I caught it, found it, or came by it,
What stuff ’tis made of, whereof it is born,
I am to learn.
And such a want-wit sadness makes of me,
That I have much ado to know myself. - Antonio, The Merchant Of Venice

Basically, studied the literature book of William Shakespeare, and needed to see Venice for myself, because I had no idea what William Shakespeare was talking about!

Venice was.. rather nice.
FILTHY Expensive though, but still worth visiting at least once.
What I absolutely love is the fact that there is a Gelato stop every 15 m.
Talk about efficient Gelato publicity!

We stayed at this hotel, Residenza Universitaria Gesuiti, which turned out to also be a student hostel. It was the cheapest option we had, plus we had opportunities to talk to some locals, so win win for both!
The downside, however, is I did have a rather unpleasant experience with the owner/manager of the hotel/student hostel.
Honestly, I don't get what's the deal with mistreating us Asians, just because we are of a smaller frame and don't appear as superior as Westerns. URGH

Google the hotel/hostel on booking.com , and you'll see my review :) (Click here, My review name is "JejuOnThatBeat")

oh, The view from our window was breathtaking.

Length of Stay: 1 night

Transport (Ljubljana - Venice): 15 EUR (Flixbus)
Transport (Misc): 16 EUR
Food/Drinks: 20 EUR
Walking Tour: Free
Accommodation: 36 EURO

Total: 87 EUR



PARIS, FRANCE.



From Venice (Italy), we hopped onto a plane to.... PARIS!
(My 4th Visit to Paris)

I know by now ya'll are wondering,
"Vic! How come all your trips only 1 day 1 day ah?"

Let me reinforce to you, that Deborah was on a time constraint, and myself having seen most of Europe from my previous trips, I was at a disadvantage as I was running out of places/countries to visit.

I've never had a pleasant experience in Paris from my previous trips, and it being my 4th time, I was hoping it would for once, be different. (Although, I had the low key bias mindset that it wouldn't)

Of course, it never happen.

Unsurprisingly, Deborah didn't like it as well.

Mainly crowded with museums, and the Eiffel Tower, Crepes and Croissants, Paris was really boring.
I wished, though, we had sufficient time to drop by other parts of France, but you know, fat hope.

I would definitely recommend you to stay in this Hostel Le Regent Montmartre by Hiphophostels . Its not super fancy, but in a perfect location. Rooms are neat and tidy, only issue was the cramped toilet. Otherwise, all good!

Length of Stay: 1 Night
Transport (Venice - Paris) : 50 EUR (Transavia/Flight)
Transport (Misc) : 12 EUR
Accommodation: 20.60 EUR (Le Regent Montmartre by Hiphophostels)
Food/drinks: 10 EUR
Shisha: 4 EUR

Total: 96.60 EUR


THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS
Paullllllll

BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS PLACE SINCE FOREVER!

The last time I visited (prior to this trip) was in April 2017, and totally unplanned.
I was looking for a random city to explore since I had an extra day in the Netherlands, and decided to head to The Hague.

I hit up a guy on Courchsurfing, Paul, because he was one of my few options left and I couldn't afford to be fussy.

BEST DECISION EVER.

Paul turn out to be freaking awesome, so awesome that I had to see him twice again, and with Deborah this time!

Since we were travelling continuously for the past few days, we needed a break, and Paul's crib was just what we needed. Spent most of the time nua-ing and with occasional sightseeing

Also, the burger place just below his house was on point!


Length of Stay: 2 Nights
Transport ( Paris, France - Den Haag, NL) : 18 EUR (flixbus)
Transport (Misc): Free! We sneaked in hehe
Food/Drinks: 15 EUR
Accommodation: Free! (Paul's Place)
Shopping: 20 EUR

Total: 53 EUR


AMSTERDAM , THE NETHERLANDS



like Fiiiiinaaaalllllyyyy!
Back in my hood after forever!
Can't remember, but it'll be my 10th time in Amsterdam, NL.
Crazy!! But I had to return!
I've got too many friends who become a huge part of my life, and I just have to see them!

Anyway, our main focus was AMSTERDAM MUSIC FESTIVAL and boooy, it was lit!
Met a dude there, Marceau, who's from Belgium, and we 3 hit it off just fine!
He ended up crashing a our hostel. (we had extra beds)


Coincidentally, I had some friends from school that happened to be in Amsterdam the same time we were!
Hit it up, brought them around, ate, and got high as a kite.

They had an Airbnb so we ended up crashing with them for about 3 hours, before we had to leave for our flight to Poland.

Length of Stay: 3 Nights
Transport (DH - AMS): 4 EUR (flixbus)
Transport (misc): 17 EUR
Accommodation: 70 EUR (2 nights @ WOW Amsterdam ) Free (1 Night @ Our friend's AIRBNB)
AMF Tickets: 70 EUR
Food/Drinks: 20 EUR
M: 4 EUR

Total: 185 EUR


KATOWICE/KRAKOW, POLAND


We had an extra 3 days in our schedule, and since I've never been to Poland, why not hit it up.

OMG, COLD IT WAS.

We ate most of the time because that our past time.
But besides eating, there's the Aushwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp guided tour, as well as the free walking cum ghost stories telling sesh.

Oh did I forget, there's a popular bar which sold 1 EUR BEERS, TEQUILA SHOTS, ALL THANG ERR THANG, all day errday at 1 EUR.

I can't...

We stayed at Crawl Party Hostel, which was perrrrfect. Met the owners, got drunk with a bunch of German girls, and the rest is history.

Another unpleasant Asian-treatment we had was with this American guy.

We were in our hostel’s lounge, just hanging out and socializing with other travelers, when this American guy asked us where we were from.

"Singapore," said Deborah.
The guy's reply?

"Oh I love Singapore! I love to eat Sushi!"

Obviously, he is has difficulty differentiating between Singapore and Japan.

We tried explaining to him that Sushi is part of the Japan culture and not Singaporean culture, and although we are Asians, our cultures are in no circumstances the exact same.

“So What! All of you are still Chinese!” – Those were the next few words out of his mouth.

IDIOT.

Transaviaaa

Length Of Stay: 2 Nights
Transport (NL- Poland): 30 EUR (Transavia/Flight)
Transport (Misc): 20 EUR
Accommodation: 8.50 EUR (Crawl Party Hostel)
Aushwitz Tour: 14 EUR
Drinks/Food: 10 EUR

Total: 82.50 EUR


AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS



BACK IN THE HOOD AGAIN.

We had 2 more nights together before Deborah flies off back to Singapore, leaving me all alone :(

Completely forgotten about looking for an accommodation, because like us, we don't plan, we simply follow the wind.
Almost stranded, but thankfully, there was an extra 2 lobangs at Stayokay Vondelpark. Met this Greek guy, who was HUGE by the way, that reminded us of Thor a lot.

Following night, we stayed over at Teddy's! I met Teddy in a hostel in Siem Reap, and idk, we were inseparable.
Kept in touch, and 8 months later, we are hanging out in her crib!

oh yeah, Deborah got a new tattoo at Salon Serpents (They do walk-ins!)

Length of Stay: 2 Night
Transport (Poland - NL): 30 EUR (Transavia/flight)
Transport (Misc) : 20 EUR
Accommodation: 30 EUR (1st Night @ StayOkay Vondelpark)  Free! (2nd Night @ Teddy's Place)
Drinks/Food/Groceries: 30 EUR

Total: 110 EUR

Last wefie together

ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS


Had an extra few nights left, and I didn't exactly want to spend it in Amsterdam since I've pretty familiar with the place.

So I headed off to Rotterdam to hang out with a old friend, Erik.

First night, stay with this CS-er and his cat, and it scratched me to the point I was bleeding, which is fine because #FreeSouvenirs. (I still have them scars!)

and Subsequent nights, I stayed at Erik's crib. Despite his busy schedule, we still hung out and caught up over some beers. Felt like old times when he was still in Singapore.
Was reeeally naiiiissseeeee.

(I don't think he knows but I actually extended my trip so I could hang out with him a little longer.)

Length of Stay: 3 Nights
Transport (AMS- ROT) : 5 EUR (flixbus)
Transport (misc): 16 EUR (3-day Pass)
Accommodation: FREE!
Drinks/Food: 30 EUR
Shopping: 50 EUR

Total: 101 EUR


Subtotal: 936.20 EUR (SGD 1508.10)

Final Total= 1200 + 1508.10 = SGD 2708.10

WOOOHOOOOOH


A few things:

1. Not sure if you noticed, but towards the end of the trip, we completely trashed our budget. I mean it's okay for us, because we are working adults and eventfully, our salary would make up for the loss.

But If you are still a student, or unemployed, please budget and plan your money well. Ensure you still have enough for rainy days always.

2. Accommodation really takes up a lot of money! Especially in cities like Amsterdam, where it is a tourist destination, be ready to splurge on accommodation. Average is from 30 EUR and sometimes, it can rise up to 100 EUR during peak season. Book early!

We didn't want to couchsurf in Amsterdam, because we figured we'd be partying, drinking and getting wasted. Hence, it would be very rude to our hosts if we were vomiting around, unless he/she doesn't mind.
But what are the chances really.

3. Transavia - our save-ior! Teddy recommended it to me and I love it! FILTHY CHEAP! Flights can go low at 15 EUR one way! Definitely would recommend!

-

So that's about it!
Hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed living it!

Till then!


X

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog